Thursday, March 31, 2011

What society needs: Chapter 1

Now and then, I might write a few words about what I think would make our society a better place. Don't expect these to be enlightening, rather my outlook on some of the issues I have with this big ball where we're spending our days.

Today, boys and girls, I would like to address a little feature that would make some businesses much better -- the drive-thru window.

I'm sure you're already thinking, "Molly, the liquor store has a drive-thru window. What more do we need?" Much more. I have compiled a list. Enjoy.

1. The post office -- The U.S. Postal Service has stated that it is losing money, which equates to less people are using the post office. I can tell you two reasons why people don't use the post office: 1. There are ALWAYS lines. 2. The hours are inconvenient for anyone who works during the day. I think more people would use the post office if they could go to a drive thru window and pick up a few stamps, or have their package weighed. I don't think there would be lines at the drive thru because the older folks would still go inside. Therefore, those of us in a hurry could get our stamps, keep the post office in business, and still send our mail on time. Of course, there would have to be a limit on the amount of mail you can send, including a max weight for packages, but I think it would work out quite well for those who just need stamps or want to send a small box.

2. Subway restaurants -- Yes, I do realize that some Subways have drive-thru windows, but not all of them. Therefore, it's a huge pain if you're in a hurry and you want to eat relatively healthy to go to a Subway. They need to catch up with the times and get a drive thru. Maybe a nearby liquor store can let them use their window during the lunch hour. Sandwiches and booze? Sounds like a sure-win!

3. The grocery store -- You may think that this isn't plausible, but I think it could happen. You know those times when you need two things to get you by until you have to go to the store to restock your shelves? That's when the drive thru would come in handy. Someone could be at the window, ready to get you the two things you need from the little mini version of the store. You couldn't go and get extra virgin olive oil, but you could pick up a loaf of bread and some eggs, or some milk and toilet paper. Those things that we call the staples would only be available in the drive-thru, thus saving you that 30 minutes of going into the store.

4. The Department of Motor Vehicles -- I'm pretty sure there is no way that this place could get a drive-thru, but if it could just get more automated, I think the world would be a much better place. I think nearly every aspect of society has advanced in the last 10 years, except the DMV. Heck, I'd be happier if they just got better chairs. Small steps must be taken before this place can even think about a drive-thru. I think an updated DMV is a sign of the apocalypse.

5. An over-the-counter pharmacy -- I know you can pick up your prescriptions at the drive-thru, but if I'm on the verge of death, the last thing I want to do is walk into Walgreens and pick up a bottle of cold medicine. Heck, I don't think they want me coming in there either. I think a mini pharmacy -- kind of like the grocery store -- would be quite convenient. Just grab your over the counter drugs and keep your sickness in the car. Also, the over the counter drive thru could sell condoms, which would be much more convenient for those teenage boys out there sexing up those teenage girls. Therefore, the over-the-counter pharmacy could help reduce the number of teenage pregnancies. Then, problems in the world would be solved.

Places that should never have a drive thru:
1. The gynecologist
2. A furniture store
3. The dentist
4. Lawyers
5. Salons

This concludes Chapter 1 of my thoughts on what society needs. Tune in next time when we will discuss another exciting topic.

2 comments:

  1. Amen! I've been having some of those same thoughts about drive-thrus for years! Especially the Post Office and the Grocery Store. And the pharmacy! -- I've even considered (more than once...) going to the drive-thru pharmacy window at Walgreens and begging the pharmacist to sell me Toddler Tylenol. Or maybe it was ice cream :)

    I also think more restaurants (fast food!) should DELIVER. I would totally pay for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You read my mind. Why on earth would every Subway not have a drive thru??? I actually eat there less because of it. They lose money on me at least once a week.

    ReplyDelete